Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Finding fitness focus

 I love alliterations almost as much as I love sweet tea, but seriously...I'm finding a new focus.

Losing weight has been on the top of my "to-do" list all year. It's been all about eating right and working out so that I can get healthy by losing all those extra pounds. It has been challenging and sometimes heart wrenching. Stepping on the scale every morning has become habitual. It often leads to disappointment, because the weight just doesn't fall off like it used to.

I realized that I started this journey to get healthy, live a better life, and prove to myself that I can do whatever I set my mind to. So, why have I boxed myself into a number? Frankly, that's just stupid. So I'm finished with that for now. I have started a new chapter where I will focus on fitness and start chasing other goals I never thought I'd touch. Until June 8th, my focus will be on training for my half marathon and taking care of my body so I can finish the race. I should continue to lose weight, but I don't want to make that number a higher priority than my training.

Last week was really successful. The plan I'm following includes three running days (short, medium, long), two cross-training days, and two rest days. I've been jogging for awhile now, but no matter what I do it always seems that I have to stop to walk after a half mile. It has become very disheartening. I don't know what happened, but last week a lightbulb went off. Maybe I should slow down my jogging pace and see if I can maintain it?

Duh.

I completed my 2 mile, 2.5 mile, and 3.2 mile jogs without stopping to walk last week. My average minute per mile was consistent with what it was when I was stopping to take walking breaks, but it seemed to be better on my legs and not as difficult on my lungs. I am slow. So far my average minute per mile pace is between 11:20 & 11:40. But if I could maintain that for 13 miles, I'd be happy. We'll just see where this goes. My expectation is to complete not compete.

As far as training goes, I'm approaching it with the same mentality. I want to find some pleasure in this process. For my short & medium runs during the week (which only go up to 5 miles), I will complete them with the intention of not stopping to walk, just so I can build up my endurance. I will aim to complete my long runs, even if it means walking. I'm also focusing on a diet that will better prepare me for long runs, even if it means slowing down the weight loss.  Avoiding injury and staying healthy are very important to me during this process.


Training was awesome last week and I got to complete my long, 3-mile run out by the lake. I even followed it up with some fishing. It was a tiring week, but every day was a success. I went out for my 2-mile run today and was ill-prepared for how hard it was. Regardless, I'm ready for the ups and downs. I'm ready for the hard times and the good times. I'm ready to surprise myself. Here goes nothing...
Lake time.
Fishing after my first time jogging a full 5K without stopping.

2 Miles. Felt like 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment