Sunday, March 17, 2013

Not every run is a race



I have not been enjoying running the past week, but I think I know why.
I've been disappointed in myself lately, and I think I try to overcompensate by pushing myself too hard. It's an absolutely great feeling when I can set a PR on my mile time, or get in 5 miles when I was only planning on three, or squatting 200 pounds. At the same time, it can be really heartbreaking if I set out with the intention of breaking one of my own records and fall short.

Lately I've been competing with myself every day, and instead of basking in the sun on my rest day this week, I decided to run. The weather just seemed too nice not to. My body was so heavy though and my legs were so weak from running or working out every day this week. It was hard to propel myself forward even short distances. So, although I set out to do my normal 5K route, I headed home after a mile and a half. I walked the last half mile and promised myself that I would slow down a little bit. I need to get back to looking forward to my runs.

This week I decided that I'm only going to run to run.  On that same notion, I decided to go out yesterday after my surprise day off. I need to relax a little bit and slow down.

"I'm in a hurry to get things done. I rush and rush until life's no fun."

Yesterday was good and I need to remember that those moments are just as important to my health as my runs and workouts.


1 comment:

  1. I'm taking a break from heavy training on my runs for a while for the same reasons you mention. It was starting to be work instead of fun. We should go on a trail run together soon. That's FUN. And one fun thing about trail running is you focus more on the distance than speed, so you can go at an easy pace and chitchat with other runners the whole time.

    ReplyDelete