Sunday, March 31, 2013

Watkin's Mill

About a year ago, Kayla and I decided to walk the Watkin’s Mill trail in Kearney, Missouri.  The path itself is about 3.75 miles. I vividly remember being miserable when we hit the 1.5 mile mark. I wasn’t used to the hills and the heat. It was awful and I wondered if I’d even be able to finish it. We did though, and it was a big accomplishment.

So just a little under a year later, we decided to give it another whirl.  We did it yesterday and I mixed in my jogging spurts with it.  It wasn’t painful or miserable in any way.  In fact, it was awesome and beautiful. I always run the same routes or on the track around my apartment. It was great to change my scenery, incorporate more hills, and focus on the fun of it all instead of the time.  We took breaks to take in the scene and enjoy the weather.

After we finished the trail, we trekked back another mile to spend some time in the creek. The water was freezing, but I seriously cannot explain what the change in weather has done for my motivation and state of mind. I just couldn’t resist kicking my shoes off for just a few minutes.

One year. That’s all it took. I can’t wait to see what I can do a year from now. If I meet all my goals, running the whole thing would hopefully seem like a piece of cake. Cheers to the freaking awesome weather this past week. I’m pumped to get into my morning jogs!












No comments:

Post a Comment